Saturday, January 14, 2012

A letter of my intentions for 2012

 
So I've had a bad case of writer's block. Perhaps not so much writer's block as I know what I want to say but I am having trouble working out the best way to express what I want to say (so expression block?).

I've read a lot of posts about goals and resolutions for 2012 and I too have some things I would like to work on this year, but how to put out there what and why I want to achieve these things I've struggled to do. So it's the 14th of January and instead of continuing to eyeball this month and procrastinate further I'm doing it with a letter of my intentions for 2012 to 2012...


Dear 2012

I am excited to see you here as 2011 was a challenging year for me personally and professionally. At times I felt like 2011 was totally going to kick my arse but somehow I managed to struggle through and here you are all bright and shiny.

I thought it best to start out by saying what wont be happening this year:
  • I wont be taking on more than what is expected. I am no longer designating myself the rescuer, the supporter or the one with tireless energy and ideas. I'm designating myself a good person/friend/worker and nothing more.
  • I wont be making excuses for the behaviour of other people anymore. This kind of goes hand in hand with the point above. If someone's behaviour is unacceptable then I'm not giving them a free pass to behave that way when I expect more of myself. And if you don't do as you say then you'd better have a good reason for it - because when I don't meet a commitment I don't just go "oh sorry about that".
  • I wont be starting any crazy diet to lose weight crazy fast because I'm sick of the weight I am at. I'm simply going to continue focusing on what healthy changes I can make and add exercise in when I am able to again.
  • I wont be spending time being overly critical of myself when the truth is that I have done everything reasonably expected of me. That time is lost time and perhaps even more importantly it is also damaging hurtful time.

I know you must be thinking what will I be doing so here's some things I've got planned to achieve this year:
  • Home renovations - namely bathroom, toilet, laundry, veranda and pergola. This is very exciting as it is something my husband and I have been working and saving towards since we moved in.
  • Overseas holiday - around October this year T and I will leave the shores of Australia and head over to the USA. Again something super exciting as we have been saving for a couple of years. I am so proud that by the time we leave we will have saved the money required for EVERYTHING.
  • Work - I have at least 6 months working in a team that is extremely positive and future-focused and I love working with them. They are always looking for solutions to problems instead of focusing on the problem itself. It is my hope that I can continue to work in a positive environment for the whole year but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
  • Professionally for me this is a testing year. I am managing some extremely high profile projects and want to do a good job as well as provide positive leadership to my team. They work hard and I want to ensure that they are aware of how appreciated their efforts are.
  • Personally I am in the best place I have been for years so I would like to maintain that. So what needs to happen is the work to make sure this is maintained. Realising when I am being overly critical of myself or T or both of us and keeping that in check would be the most obvious part of that.
I'm sure I'll read books, watch shows, buy nail polish and makeup but that's not really what I wanted to cover with you 2012. I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page because I'm looking forward to the next 11 and a half months. I know that there will be times when I think you are a heartless bastard and I'll want to hide under the doona cover but my hope is that for the most part we can be friends.

Jac x

2 comments:

  1. I hope 2012 is better for you! I think you've come up with a lot of good resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vintage :D I hope they are all acheivable things and definitely some really exciting things to look forward too as well. Hoping 2012 is awesome for you too x

      Delete